On today’s episode, I discuss the importance of honing your listening skills and how it can impact and improve your relationship with your partner as well as your friends, family, and colleagues. I explain what reflective listening is and how monitoring your self-talk can impact your ability to become a good listener for others.
One of the most common complaints in distressed marriages, partnerships, and relationships is that one - or both - people feel as though the other is not really listening to them. Mastering the art of listening is a critical component for improving your communication skills - and ultimately - your ability to deepen your connection with your partner and the people around you. On today’s episode, I discuss the importance of honing your listening skills and how it can impact and improve your relationship with your partner as well as your friends, family, and colleagues. I explain what reflective listening is and how monitoring your self-talk can impact your ability to become a good listener for others. I also explain what it means to listen with empathy and how being present, curious, and interested in a conversation you are engaged in can impact the way the speaker feels as well as how it can help deepen the connection with them. “Listening and empathy skills are the hallmarks of good communicators.” - Pripo Teplitsky This week on Relationships! Let’s Talk About It:
Join Us for The Power of Appreciation Workshop
- What is “true listening?”
- How being authentically curious and interested in your partner impacts your listening skills.
- What it means to “listen with the ears of the heart.”
- How monitoring your self-talk during a conversation impacts your ability to be a present and empathetic listener.
- How to become a reflective listener.
- The difference between agreeing with the speaker vs. validating and acknowledging their experience and emotions.
- The importance of eye contact.
- Why it’s important to resist the temptation to engage your thoughts that might interrupt the speaker’s train of thought.
- Resisting the urge to fill moments of silence.
- The importance of being honest when you’re distracted during a conversation.
- Getting clear on what the speaker expects from the listener.
- The correlation between your listening skills and intimacy.
- How breathing impacts your ability to listen and be present in a conversation.
- How deep listening creates authentic connections between individuals and partners.
Join Pripo and his beautiful wife, Yvonne Rainbow Teplitsky, on Sunday, November 11, 2018, in Asheville, NC to learn the secrets of unlocking the Power of Appreciation in your relationships. Genuine appreciation, regardless of how simple or profound, has been proven to bring an immediate shift in the quality and closeness of loving relationships. The Power of Appreciation Workshop
will teach you the necessary skills and fundamental process of enriching your relationship with your partner, deepening the connection, and enhancing the flow of positive. To learn more about The Power of Appreciation Workshop, and to register, visit HeartShare Counseling & Consulting PC
or call (828) 712-8398. Sponsored by Still Point Wellness
Still Point Wellness is Asheville’s premier spa experience. Enjoy effortless relaxation and rejuvenate your body through Still Point’s world-class services including Esalen Massage®, Salt Water Floatation also known as sensory deprivation, Cranial Sacral Therapy, and Somatic Psychology. Experience the healing powers of deep relaxation like never before! Schedule your first appointment by visiting www.StillPointWell.com
or call (828) 348-5372. Mention the code: Pripo
to receive 10% off your first Salt Water Floatation and Esalen Massage®! Let’s Talk About It!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Relationships! Let’s Talk About It
- the show to help you forge deeper, more meaningful connections and relationships with those around you. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts
, subscribe to the show, and leave us a rating and review. Don’t forget to visit our website
, follow us on Facebook
, and Instagram
, and share your favorite episodes on social media! Theme music provided by Adi the Monk