Thomas Doochin moved down the street from our house around the end of 2019. And, through more than a year and a half of knowing each other, he and I have become good friends and neighbors. Thomas is the former CEO of Daymaker, a compassion platform that helps organizations cultivate a deeper connection with their community. After several years in service as Daymaker’s chief executive, Thomas is now beginning a new cycle of life. Today, he is exploring his native roots, regenerative agriculture, and how he can serve to reconnect people to the land - all in addition to remaining open in a beautiful space where the truths of life can come to him and the people around him.
In this episode, Thomas and I share our needs to be in a deeper, more authentic friendship. We discuss how we can take risks to communicate our wants and needs and describe the challenges of taking those risks to be closer. We discuss what it means to be honest and why we need to ground ourselves in our own truth. We also highlight the role of simple moments of life in bringing out truth and underscore how we can create safe spaces where we can express radical honesty to each other.
“Honesty is the pathway to the larger truth. There are micro moments of honesty where your feelings might get hurt. But those micro moments of honesty add up to us being in touch with this larger truth.” - Thomas Doochin
This week on Relationships! Let’s Talk About It:
- An invitation to be human and excavate radical honesty in relationships
- Learning to watch the transition between life’s highs and lows
- Diving into what it means to be honest
- Our need for other people who can hold space for us
- The importance of asking our friends to hold space
- The profoundness of simple moments and their power to create safe spaces
- Why we need to center onto our own truth
- The larger truths of life, how honesty leads to it, and what it means to share what is real
- Speaking your truth in a compassionate way
- Creating spaces for radical honesty
- How small moments of interaction can set the stage for honesty and truth
- Bringing truth and authenticity in compassion
- The beauty of long relationships and friendships and the healing power of intimacy
- An evening of talk, pumpkin pie, and holding on to the sweetness of experience
- Radical Honesty: How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth by Brad Blanton
- The Relationship of Business Through the Lens of Giving
- Generosity: Contemplating How We Show Up In Our Relationships
- The Challenges of Workplace Relationships
Connect with Thomas Doochin:
- Daymaker on Instagram
- Daymaker on Facebook
- Daymaker on Twitter
- Thomas Doochin on LinkedIn
- Thomas Doochin on Twitter
Let’s Talk About It!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Relationships! Let’s Talk About It - the show to help you forge deeper, more meaningful connections and relationships with those around you. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us a rating and review.
You can check out the original songs I have sung in my podcast at Pripo’s Podcast Songs.
If you have a relationship question you’d love to have answered, contact us. Your question may be featured on a future episode!
Don’t forget to visit our website, like us on Facebook at HeartShare Counseling, join our Relationships! Let’s Talk About It Facebook group, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Share your favorite episodes on social media to help others build better, more meaningful relationships.
And if our content has helped you forge deeper connections and more meaningful relationships, be sure to help support the show by visiting our Support the Podcast page!
Theme music “These Streets” provided by Adi the Monk
The Stories We Tell Ourselves/ Do You Dare to Change Yours“Our life is a story”, yet some of our individual stories that we tell ourselves
Heartshare: Making Your Relationship A PriorityI reveal the many reasons it’s difficult for us to prioritize our relationship
Peace Begins At HomeDavid joins me today to dive deep into what peacemaking is. We discuss the impor
Allowing Influence From Your PartnerIn this episode, Corey and I share some examples of opening up to influence in o